Monday, January 30, 2023

I'm a Fncking Unicorn!

 

So today I found out I'm a unicorn...

The last biopsy I did on 1/17/2023 showed that there was 30% of Leukemia in my marrow. When we came to Houston I did another biopsy for their own tests on 1/23/23 (yeah, the totally awake, just numbed one), and those results showed that there is .05% of Leukemia in my marrow.

That means I'm in remission again, with trace amounts of Leukemia.

The good news is that I'm in remission, the bad news is that there is still trace amounts. What that means is that there is currently no active Leukemia running around in my marrow nor bloodstream, but because there is still that tiny little bit hanging around, I do have another chance to relapse. It's possible that it may not happen even with the trace amount, but more likely it would happen. So the plan is ideally to kill the last bit and live happily ever after.

The part that freaks me out a little is that I'm a unicorn. A unique case for this. Here is why: 1. I relapsed in such a short amount of time; 2. I am young; 3. My body responded extremely well to the medications that I was given in response to my relapse, which brought me down to the .05%.

Now, according to the doctor a relapse so close a transplant doesn't happen often, but it sometimes does. And then the cocktail that they give me, though a potent mixture, doesn't usually work so effectively on relapse patients. And then on top of all of this is my age. Should any of these things happen, it usually happens with patients twice my age (65 years plus). So I have now puzzled the world's best cancer doctors!

I'm not sure if that's something that I am more proud of or scared of...

I have often found comfort in knowing that I'm NOT the fncking unicorn, that my situation is NOT the path less traveled. So now I have to find comfort in something else, like the fact that because of my age they still have options, or the fact that there are options at all.

The point is that even though I'm a unicorn it's not the end. I'm not that unicorn you see in Harry Potter getting it's blood drank by Voldemort. Which now I find weirdly symbolic...cancer = Voldemort,  Alex = unicorn. Maybe not in that particular situation, but you know what I'm getting at!

Anyway...my Leukemia doctor is hopeful and I have fight! I have been prescribed a cocktail of pills and chemo and will be starting that in the near future. Then we all know what the hope is then.

Here I am! a FnCKING FIGHTING UNICORN!!! (WEEEEE SAAAAAAAW, WEEEEE SAAAAAAAW => my unicorn sound or whatever) 



1 comment:

  1. You sure are a Unicorn, a special, lovely, beautiful Unicorn :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some Call it God, Some Call it Luck

 So I'm still in the hospital...it's been 3 weeks since my routine clinical visit turned to a few days at the hospital. I can't ...