Saturday, January 28, 2023

Everything is Bigger Y'all

We're in Texas! Let me fill you in on how we got here...

At my last appointment with my initial doctors on 1/19/2023 they told me that my Leukemia came back, and I had 30% of Leukemia in my marrow. That was on a Thursday. On Saturday we packed up, dropped our little one off to his grandparents and drove 4 states. We were in Houston on Sunday afternoon for our Monday appointment.

I'd like to take a quick second here and just give a shout out to Tesla...we got the month trial of auto driving and it was quite helpful for us (even though it was just my husband driving).

We've been here doing tests after tests after tests everyday in the hospital. One of which was a bone marrow biopsy where I was not put under anesthesia, nor sedated! My first introduction to a biopsy I was put under. The one after that they said they weren't going to put me under, but sedate me. And now this one had neither, but just to local numbing shot. It seems that my biopsies are just getting progressively worse...or badass I'd like to call it. 😎

Anyway...here we are in TX where we are still trying to think of we are going to be here longer than a week or so. Our return date keeps getting pushed back a day at a time and I'm afraid it will be us just staying here for a few months. It wouldn't be so bad if I got to clean my house some and didn't leave in a matter of a day.

The hospital is definitely different. It's huuuuge! The medical complex could be the size of downtown Orlando easily, and there are much more people here...but none of this should surprise me since it's MD Anderson, the best in the world! But it still does.

Sitting in the waiting room is interesting. I see lots of people with Leukemia like me (duh), but when you listen to them talk about their stories you'll find that some of them don't have just Leukemia. But maybe one or two other types of cancer. And it makes me feel both comforted and out of place.

I keep thinking "Well, ok. All these people have so many issues and I'm here with my one type. I gotta be one of the easier cases so I'll definitely be ok". And on the other hand I feel like I don't need to be here because it seems like I'm an easy case. That said cancer is cancer...everyone should be able to get the best care possible.

This one older guy was listing off all the things wrong with him outside of cancer...replaced hip, respiratory issues, some weird surgeries I've never heard of, and catching COVID. At the end of the list the lady across from me whispered to her husband, "geez he's on really bad shape"

I laughed and I thought to myself, "Lady look around...were in a cancer center... we're all in bad shape" but seriously that man's list was longer than Rapunzel's hair (I don't know any long thing analogies so this is the best you're gonna get...🤷‍♀️).

All of these people both listen, speaking and commenting are super nice...and happy for that matter. Not happy about the situation, of course, but happy people. I've found that once you've been diagnosed with cancer, you're officially enrolled in a mind game. A mind game of how to balance your positivity and seriousness.

So I'm still here doing tests and waiting to speak follow up with my doctors in my future appointments. First day here I got 23 vials of blood drawn. I'd say that's a personal best! 😎

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You have always been a fighter. Sending you lots of positive thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like a roller coaster, up and down and up again, so fast. And you are so strong, I would have said a firm NO to sticking a needle in my spine without anestheasia! and 23 vials of blood, that's insane, you must have been light headed without all that blood?

    ReplyDelete

Some Call it God, Some Call it Luck

 So I'm still in the hospital...it's been 3 weeks since my routine clinical visit turned to a few days at the hospital. I can't ...